Whiston Heritage Society

Founded 2004

Religion in Whiston

For the last 200 years, Whiston has been served by two churches (three if one includes the Methodist Church on Broom Lane). Faith has therefore been a central tenet of the village for a long time and continues to do so today.

Whiston Parish Church

Whiston Parish Church enjoys a prominent position on a hillside overlooking the village. The oldest parts of the building (one wall and the tower) were constructed in the late 12th and early 13th Centuries meaning the church is over 800 years old.

Further details for the Church can be found on its website and an article giving a full and detailed history of both it and its associated structures (the Rectories, the Lychgate the Institute and so on) is in the pipeline and will be uploaded in due course.
http://www.whiston-parish-church.org.uk

 

Morthern Chapel

At its south-eastern border, The Ecclesiastical Parish of Whiston includes the hamlet of Morthern. Beginning with its construction in 1885, this featured an Anglican Chapel to which the Rector of Whiston was also responsible. Services took place here to supplement those held at the Parish Church. By the 1970s the Chapel had fallen out of use as a religious building and has since been sold off and converted into a private dwelling.

 


Whiston Methodist Church

Located on High Street at the very heart of traditional village life, Whiston Methodist Church was first built as a small chapel in 1822 (records suggests that from 1771 onwards, Methodists in Whiston initially met in Stanley Cottage on Hollowgate). Between 1865 and 1866 the present Church was built to supercede this and cost approximately ₤871 (roughly ₤40,000 at contemporary rates*). In 1874 the Parish Clock was placed in the Church's tower and it remains in this configuration today.

*http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/